Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Kickin' It Polish Style

We are a meat-starch-veggie type family for dinners. But I get bored with starches.
Potato-rice-pasta-potato-rice-pasta
I throw in egg noodles every now and then. Sometimes couscous but it's not a favorite.
Well while looking for something on allrecipes.com, I came across baked peirogies.
Now we like peirogies but I usually only buy them when they are on sale, which isn't often.

So last night I made my own. This is what I did:

Made instant mashed potatoes (would work well with leftovers too) and added chives
Boiled some large shell pasta.
Coated a pan with butter, stuffed potatoes inside the pasta and placed in pan.
Sprinkled with cheese and baked at 350 for about 30 minutes (just so cheese is melted but they don't dry out).

Wah-lah!! Pierogies! They were good.

I'd try some different variations: sauteed onions, bacon, etc. You can also make with lasagne noodles and layer in baking dish. Or those canniloni noodles would work and pipe in the potatoes. How about sweet potoates even.

So if you are looking for something a little international and different. Give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. So, this could be a silly question. Did you use mozzarella?

    ReplyDelete