Thursday, February 3, 2011

Food budgets

If you have a family to feed, you spend a lot on groceries. I was emailing a friend some tips for cutting your food costs. I thought I would share them with the world.

1. Make a menu every week. Try to include all meals so you don't miss anything. Also this keeps from over buying things. If you can plan them around what is on sale that way you aren't buying pricey items. Start simply with recipes you know and are easy. Then it won't be so overwhelming. It takes some time in the beginning but it will save time throughout the week because you aren't thinking about what to fix every day and not be prepared. I'll do it once I sit down at night and watch some tv (if you get this time).

2. Take advantage of sales and stock up on things. Especially canned goods.

3. Buy in bulk and buy meat only when it is on sale. Freeze the extra. I break up the packages In freezer bags so I am not thawing too much and then wasting it because it doesn't get cooked. Don't buy pricey cuts, go for the cheaper ones. They can be just as good. Meats can really drive-up the bill so stretch the amount you use in the dishes you make, soups and casseroles are good for this.

4. Be creative and substitute with what you have on hand, don't Always buy what the recipe calls for. You can typically substitute and it is just as good. This is also a good way to use up little amounts of things you have leftover in the fridge. If you can't use it right away, freeze it.

5. Check unit prices. Sale items are not always cheaper because they are name brands. The larger package is not always cheaper than something that is on sale. So always compare.

6. Join a wholesale club. The savings pays for the membership.

7. Clip coupons. You can print online, but I have found this tedious. I don't buy a paper because it would be a waste. I found my local paper will deliver a small section of ads and coupons on Sundays.

8. Make a list and don't impulse buy.

9. We don't like to eat the end slices of bread. So I throw them in the freezer. When they pile up, I grind them for bread crumbs and store them back in the freezer. I don't have to buy bread crumbs. I also throw overripe bananas in the freezer and make banana bread from them.
10. You can always go without something until it goes on sale so just improvise.

11. Try some budget recipes from websites such as, kraftfoods.com, all recipes.com, etc.

12. Plan. Plan. Plan.

I am always open to new ideas. So please share. I want to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the food budget ideas! I do most of these things already, although I don't do menus (I really should), and I am totally going to start throwing bread butts (hee) in the freezer for bread crumbs. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete