Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Staples

No I am not talking about the office supply store.
But instead about the staples you keep in your fridge. The items you buy immediately when you run out. Besides the obvious milk, eggs, bread, I keep real Parmesan. Not that jarred, pre-grated fake stuff. No a block of real Parmesan cheese.
And a must have is the microplane grater. I have this style shown. I use my Parmesan on pasta, rice, bread, in breadcrumbs, meatballs, etc etc etc.
I am telling you, buy the real stuff. It lasts Forever! And if it gets a little mold on it. Just cut it off. It's cheese after all.





















While searching for a picture of Parmesan cheesed I found this picture of cheese making. I did this. When I studied in Switzerland we made cheese. I am the one that got to scrape the curds out of the vat. We used a cloth like this but I had to hold one end in my mouth as well. It was a tough process but so much fun and an experience I will always treasure.




Another item always in our fridge is hummus and peppers. My son LOVES this. If given a plate of food such as hummus with peppers, chicken nuggets and pasta. He will eat the hummus and peppers first. And usually ask for more. I have to tell him to eat his nuggets.






He also loves cheese wraps, with the shredded cheese. So to keep all the cheese from falling out, I spread the tortilla with hummus first. He devours it.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love hummus. Especially with roasted red peppers. I can't get my kiddos to eat it, though. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete