Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Memory Lane

About two and a half years ago we took Nicholas on his first pilgrimage to Ohio. He was 6 weeks old (the same age Alexander is now). Alexander will make his trip when he is almost 3 months old. So here are some pictures to remember Nicholas' first trip to Ohio. The first time he met his Grandpa G. (Papa) and numerous other relatives.

And, yes, we drove. It took us 11 hours to reach eastern Ohio where we stayed with friends. And then the next day we covered the other 4 hours across the state. With that in mind we will try this driving trip again with a 2 year old and a 3 month old. Fun times! How did our parents do it? When I was young my parents took us to Florida every year. That was a 17+ hour trip. We did it in the car. People didn't fly back then the way we do today. I just wonder how often we will make this trip by car. And will it get easier? I guess kids have it made these days with portable dvd players, DS game systems. We had travel bingo and license plate games. Crayons and coloring books.

One fond memory of our drive to Florida. We would always reach the border of FL in the morning (my dad would drive all night long while we slept in the car, gosh he must have been smoked). We would stop at the FL welcome center for fresh orange juice out of those little paper dixie cups. I wonder if they still do that? Maybe someday I will do that with my kids. And I hope we will make many more memories such as this.

Thanks Mom and Dad for the memories. Thanks for making the sacrifice and showing us more of the country. And giving us a love for travel. I have so many wonderful experiences because of it and I hope to have many more too.



Nicholas smiling at Daddy. Nicholas with his tractor and daddy. With Nana and Papa


a) Meeting Great-Grandma.

b) being held by Grandma c) saying hi to Grandpa, or sleeping.




No comments:

Post a Comment